Friday, November 23, 2012

A Lego CD gift box

My youngest was turning six and all he wanted for his birthday was Super Mario Bros (Wii). I decided to wrap it in a rather unique way. I went to the brick wall at the Lego store intending to fill a large brick bucket with equal parts red, white and green bricks. Unfortunately they did not have a very good selection of white bricks. They had all the 1x3's I could carry and nothing else. So, I went light on the white and got more of the red and green. You will need an assortment of sizes. 1x4's and 1x2's make up most of it. You'll need some 1x1 and 1x2 pieces as well to fill gaps and increase strength.

Three 4x6 plates

Add a row of bricks making sure you lock all of the base plates together.


Keep adding rows overlapping seams whenever possible for strength.
Here's where I tested for fit. I was quite happy.


When I got to the point where it was just past the top of the CD case, I had 1 row more of the green than of the red, so I pulled the bottom off and added another row of red.


Finally capped it off with more base plates.


It was a very unique and fun wrapping job. He was fooled and upset that all I got him was some plain old Lego bricks. I had to coerce him into taking it apart. When he saw the game inside he flipped.


No comments:

Post a Comment